Deadline for GSSE Applications: CLOSED
Prerequisites: Students applying for GSSE must have completed at least one year of high school level laboratory science and one year of algebra. Applicants must have a 3.5 GPA or higher.
To apply, follow these steps:
- Together with your counselor, fill out the personal data form online at http://www.tngovschool.org/login.php and obtain your confirmation number.
- Complete the remaining 2020 GSSE Application, and have your counselor email all sections to email@example.com, fax to (865) 974-7400, or mail to: 1534 White Ave, Knoxville, TN 37996-1529. Please include the confirmation number.
If you have any questions, please contact GSSE by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (865-974-7954).
2020 GSSE Forms
We are delighted you are attending the 2020 Governor’s School for the Sciences and Engineering (GSSE). We will now enter a period of information exchange before your arrival on May 31. Please complete the following forms and submit them by April 17, 2020 via UT Vault (further instructions below).
In May, you will receive additional information on specific dates of special activities plus final instructions concerning your arrival and participation in GSSE. We would like you to inform your parents/guardians of the opening ceremony and closing ceremony for GSSE. We hope they will be guests of the Governor’s School at the opening ceremony on the afternoon of Sunday, May 31, and at the closing ceremony on the morning of Saturday, June 27. More details on these ceremonies will be shared later.
Please remember to submit all documents by April 17, 2020 using the secure file transfer service UT Vault. Instructions above.
- Personal Data Form (required)
- Medical Authorization Form (required)
- Parent Certification Form (required) – certifies that parent/guardian has read the Student Handbook
- Off-Campus Religious Services Form (optional) – attending religious services is optional, there is no need to fill out this form if you do not plan to attend off-campus religious services
- Photo & Media Release Form (optional) – fill out this form only if you want to opt-out of inclusion in GSSE photos and media
Please note that the personal data form requires you to share your social security number. GSSE needs your social security number in order to request your ID that you will use on UT’s campus throughout Governor’s School. In order to protect your personal data, please be sure to submit your forms via UT Vault. This is a secure service used for file transfer only as files are permanently deleted from UT Vault after 20 days.
Submitting your forms securely using UT Vault:
Step 1: Create an account by following these instructions
- Go to the vault website.
- Enter the email address you would like to use and choose “Register”.
- You will receive an email with a link to activate your Vault account.
- Create a password for Vault by entering and verifying the new password. Choose “Set Password”. You will then be prompted to log into Vault by going here and clicking on “Register and Login with Email”
Step 2: Submit your forms by sending a secure email by following these instructions
- Go to the Vault website and login using your email and password.
- Create and compose the email by entering email@example.com in the “To” field.
- Choose file(s) you would like to upload by selecting “Choose File”. Be sure to upload one PDF including all required GSSE forms listed above. Once the file is selected choose “Open”. The maximum file size is 15GB.
- You may choose to receive a message receipt verification by checking the appropriate box.
- Once all files are attached, choose “Send Message”.
Thanks for your help and cooperation in our planning efforts. We look forward to meeting you and working with you this summer. If you or your parents have any questions about the purpose of any of these forms or have difficulty filling them out/submitting them using UT Vault, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 865-974-7954.
You will find a Personal Data Form and a Medical Authorization Form. The purpose of the Medical Authorization Form is to empower us to act as a surrogate for your parent/guardian should circumstances so demand. In the unlikely case of a medical emergency, if your parents cannot be reached for consultation, we would like your permission to implement the best judgment of the medical personnel. Please understand that the Governor’s School program provides only for the cost of first-aid and referral medical expenses at the UT Medical Center. Be sure that you are carrying appropriate information about your family medical insurance and family physician, just as you would on any other trip away from home.
Finally, you will find the updated copy of the Student Handbook, which details the operating policies of the School. We will also give you a copy when you arrive at the school.
Also posted is a Parent Certification Form. This form must be signed by you and by a parent or guardian, indicating you have read the student handbook, and returned to us.
If you desire to attend Off-Campus Religious Services, complete and submit the Religious Services permission form giving us permission to provide transportation.
As a participant in GSSE events, you have a right to opt out of inclusion in photographs/media, but unless a Photo & Media Release Form is signed and on file at the GSSE office with a reference image of the person opting out, participation in GSSE activities implies permission for the use of images taken at those events. GSSE will never post images with identifying information such as name, email address, address, family members’ names, etc. No special compensation is provided to any individual included in images taken at GSSE events. GSSE does not contact individuals to notify them if or when their images are used. This opt-out form does not apply to photos that might be taken and used by others who attend GSSE events.